Car accidents occur every day. While some accidents will only do damage to your vehicle, others will cause serious injury and death to the drivers and passengers. We all protect ourselves and our cars from accidents by purchasing car insurance; however, do you really know what steps to take if you are in an accident? Keep this guide in mind the next time you are in a car accident.
Tips to Handling an Accident
If you or someone you love has recently been in a car accident, make sure you:
- First of all, take a moment to breathe and reflect on what has happened. Do not get angry or upset if the accident was not your fault. You will need to remain as calm as possible to handle the damages to both yourself and your vehicle.
- Call 911 if you or anyone else has sustained an injury, no matter how serious they are. Even a slight bump to the head can be a concussion which will require medical attention.
- Exchange as much information as possible with the other drivers and witnesses to the accident including insurance policies, driver’s name and addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers and any other additional useful information.
- Take some photos of the accident including any injuries and any damages to your car
- When a police attendant arrives, make sure you take his name and badge number
- Schedule an appointment to see a doctor if you have not gone to the emergency room. Ask for a complete examination and keep the receipt as well as the records.
- Contact your insurance agent to report the accident. The insurance agent may request a written statement; it is best to discuss this with a personal injury lawyer. The reason is that most insurance companies will only pay a portion of the costs incurred. If you have sustained a serious personal injury, resulting in a loss of income or additional medical and rehabilitation expenses, you will need to go above the insurance company.
- Contact McEwen & Kestner, PLLC to discuss your options for financial compensation.
Car Accident Trauma
If you or someone you love has been in a car accident and suffered from serious injury or fatality, then you have the right to demand compensation for your emotional, physical and financial suffering. With the right preparation and the right personal injury lawyer in your corner, a car accident does not have to end in a financial nightmare. If you have been injured in a car accident due to a reckless driver, then it is important to seek legal counsel before accepting any insurance policy offer.
Minnesota Car Accident Lawyer
Our lawyers have handled all types of auto accidents on the road including reckless driving, drinking and driving, driving while texting and speeding. We can ensure that you are financially compensated for your trauma and get the answers to your unresolved questions surrounding the accident.
Contact McEwen & Kestner, PLLC at 651-224-3833 or toll free at 800-732-3070 today to get the legal advice and financial compensation you deserve.